Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Cartoon Attitude

“When will you stop watching the Cartoon programs? Are you still a kid? When will you grow up? If you keep watching this you won’t pass your exams.” My mom hollered a warning, which still reverberates in my ears. I wondered “What’s wrong in watching a cartoon program? How does it determine whether a person is grown up or not?” I had never bothered to listen to anyone in my life. What effect would the whoop and the holler of my mom would have on me.

Years have passed by. I have stopped most of the cartoon programs. But I do still watch Tom and Jerry. The best part is, nowadays, my mom also enjoys Tom and Jerry cartoons.

Irrespective of age or gender, most of us like cartoon programs, especially Tom and Jerry if not other cartoon programs. I wondered what could be the reason for that. How can a program be successful and make us feel happy when there are only two characters which fight always? Is it because they keep fighting with each other? Is it because it is very funny?

There could be n number of factors which make it interesting. But I realized one unique feature of all the cartoon programs. None of the characters in the cartoon programs die or get hurt. Even if Jerry shoots Tom with a gun, or throws a bomb on Tom, its face would at most turn black. Again the next second it would become the original Tom. Even if Tom is cut into pieces, it will come back again. Even if Tom hits Jerry with a hammer, at the max Jerry’s face will become flat. The next moment it will become normal.

I feel this unique feature of the cartoon programs; give us a feel good factor. Since none of the cartoon characters die, I sometimes wonder whether the term “Never-say-die attitude” is derived from this feature of the cartoon programs.

In our lives, we should be like Tom and Jerry. We should come out of all our problems and shed negative thinking as soon as possible. I have given a new term to this: “Cartoon Attitude”.

3 comments:

anu said...

hmm.. i never really thot as 2 why tom n jerry is so likeable.. maybe coz of the love n hate relationship dey share, the never endin rivalry n still d genuine concern when either of them gets hurt..
No matter wat the reason is it sure is fun to watch..!

pallavi said...

very true..even ppl like me who generally dont prefer animated series love watching tom n jerry...!!!

Mohan (a) Varadharajan said...

Something that has always been my opinion... I think "feel-good" factor is the word... There have been many tamil films which at one time were famous only because of their sad endings - I have never been a fan of those films - the reason, the absence of a "feel-good" factor... Good piece...