Monday, December 1, 2008

Melting Moments

When it comes to the choosing between watching Dostana and going to Bradford for the weekend, there is no need to beat your brains out. The storyline of the film, is about the love that dare not speak its name, did not appeal to me. Also the fact that I have to spend 7 pounds for the movie made my decision easier.

On a cold Saturday morning, when the temperature was a degree below the freezing point, I set out to travel to Bradford. The train journeys in UK are normally a treat to the eyes. The lush green fields and the beautiful landscapes are a sight to watch. But this being a winter season, there was a lot of fog which made it impossible to view anything beyond 10 meters. I am sure Wordsworth would not have loved the winter season with the trees doing the bare act, and the visibility at its minimum.

The return journey was not much different. It was pitch dark when I started at 4.30 pm from Bradford. There was a teenage couple sitting before me in the train. They had a physics case study spread before them and they started discussing the same. The guy was explaining the physics case to the girl. But the girl never seemed to be interested in the case. Her cursory looks at the case and the seductive looks at the guy made me feel that she was more interested in chemistry than physics. When the subject matter moved from physics to the physical chemistry I thought it would be better to recap the melting moments of my life rather than watching their melting moments. If life had rewind button some of us would go back to the wonderful moments that we had lived. Memory is the only time machine known to us to take us back to the blissful days.

My thoughts drifted to my early employment days during which I had watched innumerable number of movies, discussions, fights (esp. with Srinivas), to the college days during which we had bunked the classes and played cricket mindlessly for hours. Truly these are golden moments which require separate blog posts. I wondered whether there will be some scientific advancement which would make us relive those wonderful moments.

When the announcement was made in the internal speaker system in the train, my attention came back to the couple in front of me. The couple had already mastered various topics of science like forward thrust, acceleration, speed, angular momentum (physics) to bonding (chemistry). Hey wait…don’t think otherwise. I am not writing a Mills & boons novel here. Go and check your physics and chemistry books. These topics are really there.

If only all the schools in the world follow coeducation system, it would be easier for students to master various topics in science. Co-education truly helps students to keep the scientific temper alive and kicking. Before the couple could move to master the biological concepts like evolution theory, I took a quantum leap as the train was approaching the Manchester station.

2 comments:

Mohan (a) Varadharajan said...

Nice post... Well written... Makes one relax and focus on his happy moments as well... In fact, if we make it a point to think about our melting moments once in a while, it can motivate us a lot for the future - you tend to think that life has not been that bad with you; you've had your good times as well and is bound to have more of them... Nice one again!

Chitra said...

Good.....now its time to tell the world (at least to ur circle of friends)that from whom u hav learned this much :) no no dont feel shy....say boldly "Its CHITRA" ;)